Experience Level: Any level of experience
2022 State and Federal Election Results
Now that the elections are over, what has changed. Professional engineers need to know how the results of the election have changed the political landscape in their state and what they should plan for in 2023. Additionally, attendees should be aware of if/how the elections have impacted Congress. Professional engineers should gain a greater understand of the new priorities for the 118th Congress.
Communication and social media tips for legislative engagement
Social media can serve as a powerful tool to call attention to issues facing professional engineers and the communities they serve. Take advantage of your opportunity to advocate for the P.E. community and the public welfare by engaging with elected officials from your keyboard to the capital. In this session, we’ll share best practices for getting your message heard by lawmakers and shared on social media. We’ll also address some opportunities for coordinated legislative outreach during Engineers Week. Learn the essentials of effective online and in-person communication and find tips for getting a response from your representatives.
Planning, building, and maintaining an effective state advocacy program
All fifty states have professional engineer licensure laws but requirements and qualifications to earn a license can vary from state to state. Licensure for key positions and project management can vary state to state. Additionally, there is a trend of legislation seen in state capitals questioning the role of licensure, including licensed professional engineers. How well positioned is your state in protecting its licensure laws? Building a state advocacy program has never been more important and there many ways professional engineers can be involved in the process to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public.
1. The results of the election
2. Whether a different political party took control of your State legislature
3. If/How those changes will affect the legislative agenda
4. Communication Tips - Social Media, letter writing, 1-pagers, etc.
5. How to plan, build, and maintain an effective state advocacy program
- Travis Lowe, CAE, Manager, Marketing National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Brandon Schall, Esq., Sr. Manager, Government Relations & Advocacy National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Sean Woods, Manager, Marketing National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)